So it’s been a long time since I’ve had a post. My life has pretty much been taken over by internships and student government. Although, I can’t complain because it’s been an incredible summer. Lucky for me, I had the afternoon AND night off, so of course I worked on projects and my professional portfolio. I came across an article on (the best blog EVER) nyc PR girls. The post was about how this PR girl balances her life.
I thought it would be interesting to make one of my own.
- Family & Friends: Always comes first. As I have gotten older my mom has become my best friend. I am always calling to tell her about my life or ask for advice. All of my friends call my younger sister my twin. We have very similar personalities, facial expressions, and well….goofiness. Unfortunately, they both live three hours away. I try to get home as often as my schedule will allow. I also try to make as much time for my friends as I can. Nothing can cure a bad mood like hanging out with one of my friends for an hour.
- School: Much to my chagrin, I didn’t take school very seriously my first couple years. When I found a major that I was passionate about, I jumped in with both feet. First, I got involved with Public Relations Student Society of America. This club really got me interested in PR and getting experience. Eventually I joined the Executive Team as the Vice President of Member Engagement, which was very exciting. I love being part of the behind-the-scenes process. I then became involved with Fashion Apparel and Business Organization. I was elected as one of four Fashion Show Coordinators to put on the NDSU FABO Fashion show. It was a LOT of work but so much fun! In April, I was also chosen to join the NDSU Student Government Executive team. This is a huge commitment but amazing experience. I have been using the summer to teach myself how to use Adobe InDesign and Illustrator, as it is primarily a graphic design position.
- PR Girl Career: As you can see above, I LOVE experience. I have had three completely different internships this year. My first internship was at CCRI, a non-profit company where I was already employed. I asked the Marketing Director if there was anything I could help out with for the semester and they were very excited to let me help outs a Development Intern. I helped with social media, event planning/promotion, and other marketing aspects. They even won a marketing award from some of the work I got to help with! My second internship was with an advertising agency, but it was a Sales and Marketing internship. This was a great internship because I learned so much about marketing. I also discovered that sales was just not my forte. I am grateful for the chance to figure out what I like and what I don’t like. My third internship was being part of the promotions street team for group of local radio stations. I have had some unforgettable experiences with my coworkers. I also had the BEST boss in the entire world. He works 10-14 hour days and he still manages to have a smile on his face, crack jokes, and send me a text that I am doing a great job. I am constantly trying to learn and gain more experience. I am currently interested in Fashion, Lifestyle, and Travel PR.
- Health: Getting 7.5 – 8 hours of sleep per night is a must. The great thing is that I usually arrange my schedule so that I can get that much sleep every night. I know so many college students that try to function on 4 – 5 hours of sleep every night, and then they wonder why they are constantly sick or have no energy. I also need a good amount of “me-time.” Ever since I have moved into my own apartment last summer, I realized how much I appreciate alone time. With three jobs (or two jobs and school come up), I am constantly around people. I love being able to come home to unwind and relax by myself. I eat fairly healthy (with the exception of my Dairy Queen obsession) and try to exercise a few times a week.
- Adventures: I like to check out new restaurants or run through the park sprinklers at night. Trips are my favorite adventures though. So far I have been to Texas twice this year, and I am hoping to make it to Chicago, Washington, D.C., and NYC by the end of the year. I am also bringing clients to an amazing place that I never went to as a child: DISNEYWORLD! As much as I need my planner and a schedule, I love being spontaneous. My friends and I can make anything fun.
- Miscellaneous: This category is dedicated to the little things that make me happy. Green tea, laughing, ice cream, shopping sprees, going to movie theaters, family dinner nights with friends, reading a good book … anything that can put a smile on my face.